The "engine" of the GABI-Kat website has been updated from Joomla version 1.7.x to version 2.5.x. Joomla! is the content management system (cms) we use to maintain this site. Minor glitches like the change in the separator in the "breadcrumbs" will be fixed soon.

About 3500 new FSTs have been submitted to EBI/ENA and GenBank (HE664175 to HE667735), and the corresponding data are also available from SimpleSearch (see DB version info for details). There are about 800 new lines with genome hits, and the number of CDSi hits (in protein coding genes) increased by about 300. The bulk of the data is derived from our continued efforts to produce FSTs from "weak" parts of the population. 

In addition, we have re-evaluated some unusual confirmation sequences to get access to additional insertion alleles. Sometimes, we do get an "confirmation amplicon", but the sequence of this amplicon does not fit the predicted insertion site. According to our rules, the respective insertion prediction (insertion allele) is NOT confirmed. However, we have now used these "wrong sequence results" to deduce a new insertion site prediction. These "ConfSeq predictions" then enter the normal confirmation process, and in a significant number of cases these new predictions are confirmed. We generated FST equivalents from the sequences we got, and these were also submitted.

We have updated SimpleSearch in two minor aspects: (i) the search term that a user provides is highlighted on the main output page "Line and FST details". For example, you can search for the FST with GenBank accession number AL936383 (start here), and you get this string highlighted on the output page. (ii) We attempted to unify the way the AGI codes are presented to the format At1g23450, and abandoned the format AT1G23450. 

Since 2006, SimpleSearch contains the confirmation sequences which we generate for each confirmed allele. Essentially, we produce for each confirmed allele (or insertion site prediction) two sequence reads from the confirmation amplicon. One read with the gene-specific primer, the other with a T-DNA primer. In some cases, we need to use different primers and repeated attempts to produce the confirmation amplicon and its sequence. Up to yesterday, these additional sequences were also presented by SimpleSearch, although they are useless (e.g. very low phred score during base calling) or even missleading (e.g. the two reads from the "same" amplicon hit different loci). Now, these sequence reads are filtered based on a flag in our database, and only the reads that lead to the conclusion "insertion prediction confirmed" are presented. 

Several batches of newly confirmed GABI-Kat lines have recently been donated to NASC. Today, we donated 99 additional lines (that is 1.269 different seed bags). Now, we have crossed the border of 10.000 lines donated to NASC! See here for the exact number.

During last week, the last seeds of newly confirmed lines have left the lab for 2011. Since the coming holidays may interfere with international delivery, the next seed will be put into the mail not before the second week of 2012.
We wish all our users a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and GREAT phenotypes for the experiments in 2012!

The presently running GABI-FUTURE-Kat II grant from PTJ / BMBF (German Ministry of Education and Research) has been extended to 2014-06-30. Thanks to  PTJ /  BMBF  for funding, and to the GABI SAB (Scientific Advisory Board) for support.

Information about the current version of SimpleSearch, including a description of the recent enhancements of the software/database structure and also about the additional 20.000 new FSTs, have been published recently in the database issue of NAR for 2012. The article is at the moment available online with open access. It can be viewed here. The print version will become available at the beginning of next year. Please note that we ask you to cite this NEW publication if you use our lines in your experiments.